Postal services are part of the first infrastructure services upon which the Jordanian State was established as they were in demand by national institutions for communication and correspondence purposes. The postal service was first initiated ever since the establishment of the Jordanian State. It was first called “Post, Telegraph and Telephone service” coinciding with the inauguration of the first government known as (the Principals) in 1921. The postal service was established to firstly include (8) post offices and was linked with the telephone network and provided with some equipment and teletype machines which operate using the old method of Morse and the laws, rules and regulations that were in place in Palestine were then applied during the British mandate after making the necessary amendments thereafter consistent with the economic, administrative and financial aspects of the country where after special regulations were issued for mail, parcels and money and postal orders.
After the establishment of the post principality it extended its postal services within the Emirate by opening 9 new post offices. During the period 1939- 1949 new post offices were opened and linked with the telephone networks. Another 10 postal outlets were opened and telephones exchanges were altered in term of function from Magnito into half-automated ones.
Mail at that time was transported on horse back, trains and vehicles that were made available in a later stage, as well as by sea to outside countries.
On August 6, 1939 became the telegraph, mail, telephone Authority was changed into a Ministry called “the Ministry of Communications” (MoC). That was during the mandate of the second prime ministry formed by the late state Tawfiq Abul Huda. The first minister assigned for this ministry was (Ali Pasha Al kayed). Its name appears in the sequence of the prime ministries formations as the Ministry of (MoC ), except that several times before this name was changed to become the Ministry of Post and Telegraph.
This ministry was keen to keep up with progress and development in the area of Post and Telecommunications until the foundation date of the Telecommunications Authority in1972 and was separated from the ministry thereafter. The postal services remained within the responsibility of the ministry in addition to the Telegraph and Telephone services provided on behalf of the institution where the communications telephony was provided by the postal offices through telephone exchanges for 24 hours.
Under the Communications Act of 1995, the Telecommunications Regulatory Commission was established at the time when the Telecommunications Authority was transformed in a company; and as a result of telephony coverage of all areas of the Kingdom, telephone exchanges ceased to function in the post offices.
In 2002, the Postal Services Act was passed by the National Assembly and named (the Postal Services Law No. 34 for the year 2007), under which the Jordan Post Company was established as the public postal operator and started to function as such on January 1, 2003; whereas the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications was renamed as the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology. It is worth mentioning that the current number of postal offices available in the kingdom is 356 Post Offices. Jordan Post continues to provide postal services for all citizens and the beneficiaries, whether the same being basic postal or financial services, or on behalf of other institutions, departments and companies in the public and private sectors including communications companies, particularly services relevant to collection of invoices as well as telegram and telephone booth service in addition to other services.
Postal stamps used in Transjordan before 1918 were stamps Ottoman stamps. During king Faisal era 1918- 1920, some postal stamps were released under the title of (the Arab Government of Syria). After the Transjordan Emirate was found the Syrian Arab Kingdom stamps were first used by the British commissioners who brought large quantities of Palestinian stamps and were overprinted with the words “East Jordan”. In November 1927, a new set of Jordan stamps were released bearing the picture of His Majesty King Abdullah bin Al-Hussein, the founder and prince of Jordan that time. Another sets Jordanian commemorative stamps were released during the period 1927-1933 bearing pictures representing certain occasions such as the promulgation of the first Constitution of Transjordan Emirate, locusts in 1930 and Archeological Sites in 1933. Yet, the first set of commemorative stamps was released on a national occasion was released on May 25, 1946 commemorating the Independence Day 1947. The second set was released in 1947 on the occasion the parliament establishment. The first set of stamps representing an international occasion was released in 1949 marking the 57th anniversary of the founding of the Universal Postal Union (UPU). The first set of commemorative stamps bearing the image of His Majesty King Hussein Bin Talal, may God bless his soul, was released on 01/10/1953 on the anniversary of his enthronement and were the first stamps released in the reign of King Hussein in a set of 6 stamps. During the reign of His Majesty King Abdullah II Bin Al Hussein the first postage stamp was released on the occasion of his 38th birth anniversary on January 30, 2000