The idea of opening a museum for Jordanian stamps was developed during the tenure of His Excellency Minister of Communications Mr. Said Al-Tal in 1979, and the museum was originally located in the Ministry’s premises. The items, presented in a historical order in the museum,were from collections of stamps issued since the establishment of the Emirate of Transjordan In 1921.In addition, means of communication suchas civil and military telephone and telegraph devices were presented to display a historical record of the development and evolution of the Kingdom,the stages ofJordan Post and postal achievements since then.
With the transformation of Jordan Post in 2003 to a government-owned public shareholding company and its separation from the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications, all the museum’s exhibits were brought to the new building of Jordan Post located in Moqablin, awaiting to be displayed in the new museum, the establishment of which started in 2011. The museum was equipped with all required apparatussuitable for a modern museum, andwas opened in 2012 to receive visitors and people interested in stamp collection.It was officially opened in 2016 after the introduction of many additional postage stamps. It is worth mentioning that the collections of stamps presented in this museum cover the development stages of Jordanian stamps. It started with the use of the stamps of the Hashemite Arab Kingdom in King’s Faisal era between 1918 and 1920; followed by the use of quantities of Hijaz stamps brought from Hijaz in 1922 bearing the word “Arab East Government” for a period of three years. Later on, The Egyptian Expedition stamps bearing the words “Egyptian Expedition Forces” (EEF), which was issued during the British Mandate of Palestine in 1925, was used and they bore the word “Transjordan”.
The museum also contains the first set of Jordanian stamps issued in 1927 in the Palestinian currency (Millime) bearing the word “Transjordan”. They were the first stamps to bear the image of Prince Abdullah bin Al Hussein I. When the first Constitution of the Emirate of Transjordan was issued in 1928, a set of these stamps bore the word “the Constitution”.In 1930, the stamps bore the words “LocustFighting” as a part of the national campaign to fight locust that invaded Jordan that year. In 1933, Jerash set was issued in 14 categories designed by artist Yacoub al-Sukkar.They are considered to be the crown jewel of Jordanian stamps and have won numerous international awards.
In 1946, “Jordan Independence” set was issued and was followed by “Palestine Arabs Aid” in 1947. A set of stamps was issued at the end of the same year to commemorate the establishment of the first National Assembly, followed by a set commemorating the establishment of the Universal Postal Union.In 1952, in the era of the late King Talal,all Jordanian stamps bore the Jordanian dinars and fils instead of the Palestinian pound and millimes. Then, Jordanissuedseveral stamps commemorating all the national and international events it has witnessed.On 1/10/1953, a set of stamps was issued to commemorate the ascending of His Majesty Late King Hussein bin Talal to the throne. The set comprised 6 categories bearing the image of His Majesty King Late Hussein bin Talal.During the era of King Abdullah II bin Al Hussein, many commemorative stamps were issued, most notably the “Hashemites” comprising five categories in 2003, the “Visit of Pope Benedict” andthe “10th Anniversary of the Ascension to Throne” in 2009,the “50thBirthday of the Leader” in 2012, “the Centennial of the Great Arab Revolt” in 2016 and the “Arab Summit” in 2017.
We invite Jordanians of all ages to visit the museum and enjoy the culture, history and knowledge it contains within its walls.